- 5:30 p.m.
- Third Thursday of each month
- City Hall
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Most Recent Agenda | View All Agendas and Minutes
- Alder Brian Holmquist, Chair
- Brad Schweiger, Citizen Member
- Elizabeth Piliouras, Citizen Member
- Christopher Conrad, Citizen Member
- Diane Steele, Citizen Member
- Wynn Davies, First Alternate
- Ryan Patton, Second Alternate
- Douglas Plowman, City Planner
Responsibilities & Services
The Zoning Board of Appeals assists the zoning administrator in making interpretations; hears appeals for any person that is aggrieved by a decision of the zoning administrator and passes judgement on that appeal; and approves alternate methods of construction and materials.
Most people applying to the Zoning Board of Appeals are requesting an “area variance” to such zoning setback restrictions as side yards, shore yards, street yards, etc. The ZBA has very narrow and limited authority to grant such variances. To obtain a variance, the applicant must show: A. That the granting of the variance will not be contrary to the public interest; and B. Special circumstances exist which would cause “unnecessary hardship” if the zoning code were to be strictly enforced.
The Zoning Board of Appeals also reviews Conditional Use Permit applications in the single-family and two-family zoning districts.