Dogs in Parks
Dogs on Leashin 2016, the Monona City Council approved an ordinance change allowing dogs in parks on-leash, under owner control with some restrictions. Dogs are not allowed in playground areas, park shelters, beaches, fenced athletic areas. All dogs must be licensed. Read the complete ordinance revision here.
A new one-acre off-leash dog park is now open at 851 Femrite Drive (corner of Femrite Drive/Edna Taylor Parkway) next to the Public Works Garage. This new off-leash dog park will have improvements in the spring of 2017, but it is now open for the general public. Please note the following rules for the Dog Park:
New! Monona Off-Leash Dog Park
- Users of this facility do so at their own risk. City of Monona is not liable for any damage or injury to humans or pets.
- Dogs must wear a current dog license tag. License tags can be purchased at City Hall.
- Dogs must remain on a leash until inside the gated park area.
- Poop and scoop is mandatory. All waste must be picked up and placed in designated receptacles.
- Aggressive dogs are not welcome. Female dogs in heat are not allowed in the park.
- The park is free to participants who have a current municipal dog license.
Dane County Dog Park Permits
In addition to Monona's dog park, Dane County has more than a dozen parks throughout the county that welcome dogs. A separate dog park permit ($30 annually) in addition to your municipal license is required to use these facilities. These permits are available for purchase online or at a number of area retailers. All dog owners applying for a Dane County Dog Permit must first obtain a dog license from their local municipality. (You'll need your dog's municipal license tag number in order to purchase your Dane County dog park permit.) Monona dog licenses are available at City Hall (see below). Click on the brochure image to the right for complete information on Dane County dog park permits.
City of Monona dog licenses are available for purchase at City Hall. Complete the application and return in person or by mail to City Hall, along with a copy of your dog's current rabies certificate and payment.